Looking after your Acrylic Denture not only looks after your health and wellbeing but your finances too as by caring for your dentures, this will help extend its lifetime and help avoid any unnecessary repairs. Here are some of our simple tips to care for you and your dentures:
- Clean dentures in the morning, at night time and after eating.
- When cleaning dentures use warm soapy water over a plastic bowl in the sink in case you accidently drop them to avoid breakage.
- DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE.
- When cleaning, use a toothbrush which has not been used with toothpaste previously (toothpaste will cause microscopic scratches which will give bacteria a place to attach and grow).
- When dentures are removed, give your gums a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush to help clean and stimulate blood flow. Clean any natural teeth normally with toothpaste.
- Do not wear dentures to bed. Removal of dentures allows the oral tissue and jaw bones to rest in order to prevent further tissue irritation, infection and future bone shrinkage. Leave dentures in a sealed or covered container with fresh water – change water daily.
- Avoid hot or boiling water, as this may warp your dentures.
- Soak dentures in Polident as per product instructions.
- Handle your dentures carefully – be sure you do not bend or damage the plastic or the clasps while cleaning.
- If dentures are ever broken do not repair with super glue as this may cause further problems. Organise an appointment with Total Denture Care as soon as possible.
- If you get any sore spots persevere as long as possible. If the pain gets too uncomfortable remove dentures and wear 24 hours prior to your next appointment with our Dental Prosthetist so sore spots are visible.
- Over time dentures will need to be relined, rebased or remade due to normal wear; natural age-related changes to the face, jaw bones and gums; or if the denture becomes loose. Generally, complete dentures may need a reline every 2-3 years and can be used for 5-10 years before a replacement is necessary.
- Schedule regular check-ups with your Prosthetist to have your dentures examined and professionally cleaned. They can check to see if your dentures are fitting correctly and the health of your mouth to make sure there are no abnormalities.
- Like natural teeth, dentures can pick up staining every day. Habits such as smoking, drinking excessive amounts of tea, coffee or red wine will cause heavy staining. In most cases if you regularly clean your dentures and also get a professional clean, you should be able to remove this staining.
At Total Denture Care, we offer a complete denture care service as we believe it is important to offer all our patients the right advice and treatment to most effectively look after your dentures over its lifetime. Maintaining healthy dentures are important to your overall wellbeing so here some on our top tips to share. We are also just a phone call away to offer you any advice or questions you have on how to best look after your dentures.
Download as a PDF