Sports Custom Mouthguards require minimal maintenance, but there are a few quick tips that you should always keep in mind and follow:
- Keep mouthguard cool and dry in its protective case when you’re not using it.
- Never leave the mouthguard in the car on a hot day.
- Clean your mouthguard with cold soapy water after every use. At bare minimum you should always rinse your mouthguard with cool water.
- Keep your mouthguard away from your dog or other pets (they are attracted to the smell and will chew and destroy your mouthguard).
- Do not chew your mouthguard, doing so can create tears or holes which may compromise protection and can cause bacteria to get trapped.
- Inspect your mouthguard routinely for fit.
- Avoid having sugary drinks around wearing your mouthguard as it will remain on your teeth as will not be washed away by your saliva, which can place your teeth at increased risk of cavities.
How do I clean my Sports Custom Mouthguard?
At bare minimum you should always rinse your Mouthguard with cool water after use, but ideally you should clean with cold soapy water after every use. Without regular cleaning, you will notice an unpleasant smell caused by the buildup of bacteria.
After some time, your Mouthguard will lose its shine and will build up with plaque – below are some ways to help clean and disinfect your guard:
- Commercial Cleaners – Denture cleaning tablets such as Strident or Polident tablets can be used to remove build up on Mouthguards.
- Homemade cleaning solutions – Soaking in lemon juice or vinegar can be used as more cost-effective way to clean your Mouthguard.
- Mouthwash – Soaking in mouthwash can also be used to freshen your Mouthguard.
How often do I need to replace my Sports Custom Mouthguard?
A child’s Sports Custom Mouthguard will need to be replaced when they lose enough baby teeth and also if they have a growth spurt. Otherwise the mouthguard won’t fit well, it may feel tight or uncomfortable and lose the effectiveness of the protection. As a general rule, most children under 18 will need to replace their mouthguard every year. Adults mouths who haven’t changed much since getting their Sports Custom Mouthguard fitted, should be able to keep the same mouthguard for years if looked after with care.
At Total Denture Care, we offer a complete mouthguard care service as we believe it is important to offer all our patients the right advice and treatment to most effectively look after your mouthguard over its lifetime. Maintaining healthy mouthguards are important to your overall wellbeing so here some on our top tips to share. We are also just a phone call away to offer you any advice or questions you have on how to best look after your mouthguard.
Download as a PDF